Tuesday, October 13, 2009

i know what my ears look like from the back now

Guess what I got today!

Go on, guess! I'll give you a few hints to get you started:



--It's on my head.

-- Six letters.

-- Rhymes with "joehawk."





That's right. A flippin' mohawk. One of a very, very few hairstyles that I'd never had before; I change my hair around an awful lot. I've always liked them, though. Mohawks. They remind me of horses' manes.


I go to a work college, which means, essentially, that students are expected to do menial labor and odd jobs around campus in order to help pay their tuition and "build character." This year, there was such a large influx of new students that the administration had to invent some rather creative new jobs and offices in order to keep everybody "employed." Among these was Haircut Crew. My college now has what amounts to its own barbershop/hairstyling salon, located in what I'm pretty sure used to be a broom closet. But they've got spinning chairs and blowdryers and everything, and the people on Haircut Crew actually are good at cutting hair...and best of all, it's a completely free service. I like free! I don't think I've had anyone besides me cut my hair since I was fourteen or fifteen, so the whole atmosphere, chatting with the girl who was shaving the sides of my head, not having to feel around the back of my own head to make sure everything's even, making the chair go in circles, having mirrors and soft lighting, was kind of novel and exciting. Jessica, who made my mohawk, also took these pictures. Thanks, Jessica!




Directly after getting my haircut, I had to go to the library to write a book report critical reflection for a class. While I was typing, someone somehow managed to stick a blue post-it note right on the corner of the computer screen without my noticing. Your hair looks amazing!
Loopy, girly handwriting, like even the hard consonants are giddily excited, you know the type. It made my evening.

2 comments:

  1. Are you gonna keep shaving the sides or let it develop the suede-head look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll shave the sides occasionally. It's going to get cold soon, though, and as nice as mountain air feels on one's naked scalp, I might want some covering when it's thirty-five degrees and rainy outside.

    ReplyDelete